Learning Hub Limerick was founded as a charitable company limited by guarantee in October 2007 and was formally known as Northside Learning Hub. The name changed in May 2011 in recognition of the expanding geographic catchment area of the Hub. Increasingly families from all over the city access the Learning Hub. The name change also recognises the many city wide partnership relationships forged with multiple stakeholders based throughout the city in recent years.
Learning Hub Limerick was formed with an overall aim of working in partnership with local education providers, families and young people to develop and implement practical and solution focused responses to the high levels of educational disadvantage and early school leaving experienced by local communities on the Northside of Limerick City.
The core goals of the Hub are: –
- Create an active learning environment that extends the learning experience beyond the traditional school day.
- Creatively embed technology and the core skills of literacy and numeracy into active learning projects.
- Provide a positive and safe social environment that inspires us as individuals and as a community by recognising the potential and talents of young people and learners.
- Prevent early school leaving and raise the educational aspirations of families, schools and the wider community.
- Work in partnership with other agencies to provide support to children identified as most in need of additional social, cultural and educational resources.
- Create an environment that promotes the positive development of physical and mental health among young people and the community.
- Work in partnership with key stakeholders to maximize the resources available to the community by harnessing volunteers, resources and energy for the development of our young people.
The PAUL Partnership is represented on Board of Directors of the Learning Hub. The Partnership offers support in many areas of its development; including structures, funding, and lobbying for mainstreaming.
For more information see www.learninghub.ie