Below are some useful links to information you may find useful if you are considering the self employment option.
- Annual Follow Up Survey of Small Business Start Ups in Limerick City 2011-2014
- In 2011 PAUL Partnership undertook a piece of research to follow up on how businesses which started in 2008 and 2009 were performing. Click here to upload the results:Survey of New Enterprises Supported by PAUL Partnership – Presentation Oct 21st
- Small Business Start-ups in Limerick City (Limerick Business Week 2011) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfYtYq0RET8&feature=player_embedded
- TR1 Form: www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/forms formtr1.pdf
- TR2 Form: www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/forms formtr2.pdf
- BTW 2 Form: www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/btw2.pdf
- STEA 1 Form: www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/stea1.pdf
- Back to Work Enterprise Allowance: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/btw_stea.aspx
- As a follow on from the recent booklet produced by the Citizens Information Board ‘ Supports and Information for the self- employed’ please see a link to its new micro site : www.selfemployedsupports.ie
- Paul Partnership Business Plan. Business Plan
This informative and userfriendly site provides public service information for self- employed people whose incomes are reduced. You will find information on Signing on for the first time, Job Seekser’s Benefit and self- employment, becoming ill while self employed , Job seekers allowance and self employment, the means test for Job Seeksers Allowance and much more .
Toil and Trouble Booklet: This booklet published by the Department of Social Protection provides a simple and comprehensive guide on all aspects of self employment including the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance and other supports. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/ToilandTrouble/Pages/ToilandTroubleBooklet.aspx
The Cheese Mall – Key Marketing Skills for the Budding Entrepreneur by Bernie Tracey published by Beacon Coaching Consultancy 2011 –The Cheese Mall shows you how to go about starting your business in a sensible step by step method and demystifies all the jargon. www.thecheesemall.com
Payment of Tax
As a self employed person tax will be one of your key obligations and it is essential to keep your affairs in order from the start. A little time spent on informing yourself on your obligations, on file and pay deadlines and on sorting our your tax affairs in the beginning will avoid unnecessary and expensive mistakes down the line.
A Guide to Self Assessment ( IT 10): http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it10.html
Setting up a Business in Ireland
If you are thinking of starting a business there are a number of issues you need to consider. Different supports and regulations apply, depending on your particular situation. This site highlights some of the important information you need to know with links to relevant topics to setting up a business. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/setting_up_a_business_in_ireland.html
Some light reading: http://www.bookbuzz.biz/blog/78-what-i-didnt-learn-in-business-school.html